Friday, February 8, 2008

Old Cars Inspire Me.




I don't know what it is about old cars but they have this power over me.  When I see them I see what they could be... when I touch them I touch history... I can hear the crackly old AM radio playing old tunes that were new when this old car rolled off the showroom floor.  I can feel all the excitement of the new owners and their families, just home from the war, a new house and a new car, things were really coming together, and the whole package only cost seven grand.  There is nothing like old car smell... it's a potpouri of old leather, cheap perfume, pine tree air freshener and cigaretts.  All of my senses spring to life except for my taste buds... I have never tasted a car...but, I'm sure it tastes like really good beer.

Then something wonderful happens.  My mind starts to rebuild this car... to change this or that.  I'm suddenly inspired to begin to make this car more than a car.  It's already been a car for 50 or 65 or even 80 years.  I can almost hear the old metal creek out the phrase..."Make me beautiful again".  I almost feel a responsibility and compassion towards the old heap of history.  However, when these old cars inspire me to do something about their current state, It's never to make them what they were, it's always to make them what they could be... today.  Change their shape, their ability to go fast, update their sound systems and interiors... They just don't want to be remembered for what the were in the past, they want to make a new statement about their present and their future.  The car above is the same car... before in its old skin, our history... our past... and after... our present/future statement of what we know we could be, what we feel is bursting through the creeky old metal... And thats nothing, wait till you see it done. 

I'm an artist, and old car parts is my medium... I love old cars... and I love all the culture, creativity and community that surrounds old cars.  I love turning old things into new things.

1 comment:

Heidi Renee said...

ah, redemption - beautiful Jesse!