Monday, April 20, 2009

Question before How#2...???

Before we start with "How #2" I would like to tell you a little story.  I started posting this blog with the hope of hearing from people who I knew were reading along ... and have, for the most part, heard from different readers at different times depending on what I was writing about and how they identified with the topic ... normally the feed-back is about how much they can identify with what is being said.  However, on my last post, "How #1" I received the most feedback ... I wonder if it is because in my previous posts people felt nervous about the topic or about the way I was speaking openly about the topic, and did not want to "take sides" or offend or fuel any wild fires etc.   The theme of "How #1" was Focus on, and Only on, what you love ... and it is always safe to aline ourselves with the "Love" topic... after all we are christians (whatever that means) ... What do you think? ... What did you feel?  Where you relieved that I did'nt start naming names and telling horrible church abuse stories... I guess what I am really asking is: Does love and loving each other really mean that much to us ... or is it just a big pretty rug that we can sweep all our questions, fears, negativity, etc. etc. under and ignore... and then get back to acting normal...(what ever normal is) ...  It is IN the question or questions of life where we become lost enough to seek and ask for God's  help ... God is found in our questions.

5 comments:

Mike said...

I also lived in Conservativille and I also heard the wild stories about Charasmatropolis. When I visited I saw the wackiness and packs of crazies roaming about wildly, but as I looked, there was scattered throughout the city small groups of real people, who were really alive.

It sparked in me a longing for a closer walk with Jesus. To hear His voice more clearly. To walk each moment in obedience to Him, loving Jesus more, loving those around me more, and loving His creation more.

I know the Holy Spirit dwells within me, but I still feel like Lazarus. I've been raised from the dead, but I'm still wrapped too tight and can't move very well. How do I become unblocked so that the Holy Spirit can leak out, preferably pour out.

I approached the leadership in Conservativille with my longings. You see, I did not want to cause splinters or sparks. I asked for their help in my journey. Was there anyone in Conservativille who would walk with me and help me through this.

All my gentle questions raised was a heated debate over the role of the Holy Spirit today, and their fear of chaos.

Because I could not find anyone asking similar questions, I stepped to the sidelines, because I did not want to cause friction, but in my heart I got frustrated and I'll admit my focus got too much on what wasn't there.

So our family began a search for a group of believers who lived half way between Conservativille and Charismatropolis. A place where the best of both would be celebrated. We thought we had found such a place, but I'm not so sure now.

I think I know why, and to be a bit oblique, I think the answer I'm looking for is not about where I live, but how I live.

To be even more oblique, I think it comes down to a commitment to community, chaos, and consolidation.

We all know that when trees grow, they add a layer of cells each year, which when are cut down, can be seen as a series of concentric rings. What many don't realize is that there's only a period of 8 - 10 weeks when these new cells are created. This is a time of intense chaos. The rest of the year is spent building and consolidating the newly created cells.

I think there are similarities in our spiritual walk. There have to be times of chaos where new life and new things are generated. But then these new cells need to be fed, nurtured and aligned with the solid cells of the last season. And occasional there has been areas of pruning that have to be healed over.

But chaos and consolidation have to take place with a community of commitment. A place where a group of believers says "We're not moving". We're prepared to walk it out together, even when it gets uncomfortable. A place where we don't have to be friends, but we do have to be family.

Jesse said...

I really like what Mike said. - jesse

Anonymous said...

the world needs more "How to manuals"...

I could roll on about it... but I am stoked to see you picking up your Snap On's and tuning up .... Set the torque wrench on high, get some grade 8's and keep blowing people away...

erickeck said...

Whoops wasn't trying to be anonymous...

Jesse Padgett said...

The fact that Eric knows what a grade 8 is ... is very sexy.