Wednesday, January 2, 2008

What is this?


Building cars has been apart of my life since 1977 when I dragged home an old 64 galaxy that had been sitting under a berry tree and started washing off the mulberries and bird poo.  It was a gross job but, all I could see was the diamond of a car hidden under the layers and layers of dirt.  I  proudly drove that car  for almost 2 years before I sold it and bought my second car... a mint 1966 Fairlane.  I was forever infected with this disease that made me want to find old dirty cars and make them new again.  Since the first time I cruised my galaxy down the strip until today I have and still am in love with old cars and the culture that surrounds them.  

Thats why I started Mr. Merc's Custom Car Studio.  I wanted a place where I could buy, build and sell art that appeals to the kustom kulture... my culture.  I love the vibe that surrounds the little studios...(garages and shops) that are scattered all over the world.   Little dingy, buildings and garages filled with wall art and car parts and right in the middle is the masterpiece.  Just the image of this is art... your imagination fills in the rest.  You can almost hear the music coming out of some dusty old stereo, guys and girls talking about their latest adventure, the sound of a beer can opening, and friends laughing and dreaming together. 

Mr. Merc's exists to showcase the art that our Kustom Kulture creates.  Whether you are building a home built ratrod or a custom 54 chevy its art.  It's art because you create it and then put it out there for people to see...your interpretation of something on display for the public to see... If that is not art I don't know what is.  Building cars is art... our palette is old car parts, our medium is metal, bondo and paint, our brushes are welders, and wrenches and sandpaper.   We call left over or unusable parts yard art or wall art...pinball machines and jukeboxes are used to decorate our living spaces and shops.  This culture is an artistic statement about our history and our future.  


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude i wish I was up in Seattle right now. I would cruise on up and catch that. Hope everything goes well. Cheers, Willie

Anonymous said...

Hi Jesse,

This is you...at last. Can't wait to see how this will grow for you. I still remember driving around in your flame car with white leather seats, no seat belts, elbow out the window, laughing, everyone's head turning to see this great car and Frank Sinatra on loud! That's the life... Caroline

Heidi Renee said...

Yes indeed - anything you touch Jesse is art! I still have a little Fimo pig you made me 20 years ago and love it!

Wish we were closer so we could celebrate with you!